I’m very particular about my eyebrows. As long as my eyebrows are well taken care of, I can feel perfectly comfortable wearing minimal make-up (or none ) whether I’m out or in . After years of trial and error, I’ve narrowed down my routine to a few simple steps.
1. I bleach any excess hair on top or below my natural eyebrow shape twice a month. ( I don’t epilate or wax my eyebrows ). Thankfully I don’t have much ‘excess hair’.
2. I fill my eyebrows in with either a tinted gel or pen or pencil. (More on this below )
3. I comb my eyebrows upwards without interfering with my natural shape & set them with a wax/gel if I’m up to it. (More on this below)
These 3 steps seem straight forward – indeed they are – but it took me a while to decide which products to use to implement these steps . Trust me when I tell you , there are quite a few bad products out there. Be it the pigment or texture or ingredients or the comb,reliable products are not always easy to find. Below are the ones I’ve had the best results with. For everybody’s budget sake, I’ve taken the liberty to recommend products for all budgets! ( All tried & tested, of course)
1. Mac Pro Longwear Waterproof Brow Set . This just works. It does what a good tinted brow gel should do. Tints & fills in without looking unnatural, the formula holds the brows in place without flaking, feeling dry or tacky & is waterproof. Just like the name implies. I’m very impressed with this.
2. Physicians Formula’s Brow Definer Automatic Brow Pencil. You can apply the pigment lightly or heavily – depending on what look you’re going for – and expect nothing but natural-looking brows. It sets to a powdery finish & the attached brush allows for precise grooming. This product impressed me & so did the price tag !
3. Maybelline’s Define-a-brow eyebrow pencil is thin ,long lasting & and performs exquisitely. The pencil itself has a comb on the opposite side of the pencil which is très useful. It comes in 4 shades, 2 shades of blonde & 2 shades of brown. In my opinion, this is a better brow pencil than most high end pencils that are way over hyped.
4.NYX Eyebrow Shaper. I’ve grown to really like NYX over the past years. The past 5 years to be exact. This eyebrow shaper has manifested that feeling even more so. The wax-based pencil is clear and oh so good. It will hold brow hairs in place without flaking or budging. The finish? Soft , natural-looking,tamed eyebrows.
5. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Fix delivers just as well as most of Anastasia Beverly Hills – products . I bought it and then lost it a few weeks later which was a huge bummer ! It’s an excellent clear wax-based pencil that will keep your brows in place while leaving them looking soft & natural (just don’t press too hard on the pencil, softly does it). Do I think it’s worth the price tag ? After discovering NYX Eyebrow Shaper ; no ! However, if you like to shop at department stores and are a bit of a brandaholic , then you most certainly won’t be disappointed with this purchase.
6. Tom Ford’s Brow Sculptor is probably my favourite brow pencil. It’s a total splurge but so worth it. This pencil is waxy but would never dare to make your eyebrows feel that way. The available shades are so natural and the pigment blends so well . It comes with a brush and a twist-up container which means you don’t need a sharpener, although it does come with one in case you decide you want more of an angle. The end result translates into natural, filled-in eyebrows while your hairs stay put throughout the day. When I use this, I don’t need a clear wax-based pencil nor do I need to mix shades. Do you see now why it’s my favourite?
7. Anastasia Beverly Hills Browpen made this list simply because of its shades. It comes in two shades ; universal light & universal deep. Yes, it fills in your brows nicely and the pigment is very buildable which makes it ideal ,really. However, the shades are what impressed me the most because even though there are only two shades, they’re a perfect match. Pick the Universal Light shade for blonde to light brown hair or Universal deep for dark brown to black hair. Only complaint ; it doesn’t last long. I think mine – with daily usage – lasted for less than a month.
8. Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted brow gel. I may seem biased to this brand but I reassure you, I’m not. For example, I thoroughly dislike the Perfect Brow Pencil & the – now discontinued – Lash Lifting Mascara. Both just didn’t perform well , the pencil was so hard to blend and the mascara was a flaky,clumpy disaster. The only good thing about the Perfect Brow Pencil were the shades – diverse & beautiful. I got sidetracked, didn’t I? Right, back to the tinted brow gel . Its shades are beautiful and a perfect match. It coats my browhairs beautifully with a hint of pigment and keeps them in place without making them look waxy or unnatural. No flaking, no budging. Another win for team Anastasia .
Do share your own experiences or other recommendations you may have !